Agriculture is critical to global stability and development. It accounts for a third of the gross domestic products and three-quarters of employment in sub-Saharan Africa. (World Bank 2008). But most farmers still remain poor and out of touch with best practices that can yield to high production, prevention of post harvest losses and market information. According to a report by GSMA, Mobile penetration across the region was 54% in 2012 and mobile contributes over six per cent of the region’s GDP.
Mobile technology has the tools and the capability of reaching farmers, providing them with the needed information and potentially link them up with the markets, locally and internationally. But do farmers know this?Or is it that technology is too far from them? What is missing? Information sharing along the agricultural value chain has been broken for a while now. Can technology be used to improve or encourage information sharing and communication within the agricultural value chain?
Date: 30th July 2014
Venue: m:lab East Africa Balcony
Time: 12.00 – 2.00 pm
Key discussants and invitees include:
- Grace Agili – Director, Agricultural Information Resource centre at Agricultural Information Resource Centre
- Phineas M’Ndaka, Extension Officer, Ministry Of Agriculture – Ngoliba
- Milton Lore, Chief of Party, Kenya Feed the Future Innovation Engine at Land O Lakes
- Pauline Wairimu Githinji, Impact Data Officer, Root Capital
- Farmers from Kisii, Kisumu, Ngoliba, Magadi, Lugari, Thika,
- Other invitees include representatives from Safaricom, Orange, Airtel, Technoserve, Amiran,GSMA, Kilimo Salama, Exporters among others
To participate in the event, RSVP HERE. There will be a live twitter stream during the event, you can virtually join the discussion using the hashtag #WirelessWednesday.
Seven Wireless Wednesday meetups on agriculture have been held since 2012. Recap articles on the meetups can be found below as follows :-
30th October 2013: Understanding the challenges of uptake and increase the awareness of mAgric innovations
27th February 2013: Improving the quality and uptake of Agricultural mobile innovations
29th August 2012: Mobile Apps Targeting post harvest challenges in Agriculture
27th June 2012 : Reviewing Mobile Applications Targeting Agricultural Productivity
25th April 2012: Using mobile tech to overcome post harvest challenges in horticulture
29th Feb 2012: Nine considerations for implementing apps for Agriculture
29th Feb 2012:Using technology to enhance productivity in agricultural value chains